COBIT helps bridge the gaps between business risks, control needs and technical issues. It provides good practices across a domain and process framework and presents activities in a manageable and logical structure.
• Starts from business requirements
• Is process-oriented, organisingIT activities into a generally accepted process model
• Identifies the major IT resources to be leveraged
• Defines the management control objectives to be considered
• Incorporates major international standards
• Has become the de factostandard for overall control of IT
How Does COBIT Help Implement Effective IT Governance?
COBIT brings the following advantages to an IT governance implementation effort:
Enables mapping of IT goals to business goals and vice versa
Better alignment, based on a business focus
A view of what IT does that is understandable to management
Clear ownership and responsibilities based on process orientation
General acceptability with third parties and regulators
Shared understanding amongst all stakeholders, based on a common language
Fulfilment of the COSO requirements for the IT control environment